Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Week 11 Review

       Everything sucks, but I've been feeling better. Probably because of the Prozac. Yes, I'm taking Prozac. The risks do not outweigh the benefits. I need to go to school, and I need to feel motivated. Plus, the baby can feel what I feel. So, if I'm stressed out, so is Lucy.
       So, Tony is a carrier of Cystic Fibrosis, or CF. So am I. So our baby has a 1 in 4 chance of having Cystic fibrosis. While I carry the most severe gene for CF, Tony carries a very mild gene for CF. So pretty much, as a lot of people know, you get half your genetics from your dad, and the other half from your mom. If the half I passed on to the baby has MY mutated gene, but Tony did not pass on HIS mutated gene, then the baby will then be a carrier of Classic CF, but not have CF. Same thing goes if Tony gives his CF gene and I don't give mine. So if we BOTH pass on our mutated genes, the will the have Cystic Fibrosis.
       For those who don't know, Cystic Fibrosis is common;y said to be the worst genetic disease you can get, and the most common in deadly genetic diseases. It effects most organs. While deadly in a lot of cases, if Lucy has CF, and she is a girl, she will be asymptomatic. If she turns out to be a boy, he would have mild symptoms and is at risk for being sterile. While 55% of people in the US with CF don't make it past 17 years of age, our child would be expected to live into their 50's. Which is saying a lot for such a bad disease.
       Okay, on to symptoms. Nausea has been coming back in the mornings, food aversions are also coming back pretty strong. That's about it. Not really any mood problems. I'm actually packing to move out. With my mom. I'd say it would be a lot of fun but sarcasm doesn't work on the internet that way.

I don't have any pictures because my camera is out of juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment